The Mission Fund was started by the Congregation of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in 2002 to fund mission work at home and around the world, above and beyond the programs supported through regular offerings. By 2015 the Mission Endowment Fund had accumulated a substantial amount of money through the generosity of givers. In order to allow the funds to be used more effectively the Fund rules were changed in 2015 to allow up more of its balance to be spent on mission work in any year. In the past two years the Fund has made grants to support:
- Sponsoring a congregation member to deliver medical care in Guatemala as part of an on-site team.
- Operation Adopt A Solider, a local non-profit organization that strives to care for and support military soldiers and their families of Massachusetts in times of life crisis.
- New England Synod of the ELCA mission development, including mission starts in Massachusetts (East Boston, North Quincy, Dorchester, Pittsfield, Northampton, Lynn and Waltham), Vermont, Maine, and Rhode Island.
- Ascentria Care Alliance (formerly Lutheran Social Services of New England) which serves older adults, disabled individuals, teens, new mothers and families, and recent refugees in New England.
- ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) Good Gifts program which provides gifts of livestock, clean water, help to women and children, food, growth of churches, and emergency assistance to refugees, across the globe including Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
How Can You Help?
- Donate to the Mission Fund. Write a check to Emmanuel Lutheran Church and indicate on the check it is for the Mission Fund. (More ways to donate are coming).
- Apply for a Mission Fund Grant. Complete this online application which will be submitted to the Mission Team.